Although SBI lags behind in providing modern banking tech to customers, in contrast to private sector banks like Axis and HDFC, it has scored big on its PRIME credit card. This credit card is a good option for frequent travelers who also like to make large purchases, both online and offline. The card is accepted across 24 million outlets in the world, including 3.25 lakh outlets in India alone. The annual fee is ₹2,999 and the renewal fee is waived off for those who spend ₹3 lakhs during the year.
SBI Card PRIME Card Features
- Customers get e-gift vouchers worth ₹3,000 at sign-up, for brands like Marks & Spencer, Hush Puppies, Pantaloons and more
- Cash withdrawal fee of 2.5% or ₹300 on SBI ATMs
- Air accident insurance coverage of ₹50 lakhs and fraud liability coverage of ₹1 lakh
- 1% fuel surcharge waiver across all petrol stations in India. This is only for fuel purchases between ₹500 and ₹4,000.
- 20 reward points for every ₹100 spent on utility bill payments
- 10 reward points on purchases of dining, groceries and movie tickets
- 20 points on every ₹100 spent on birthday purchases
- Contactless card technology, where customers can simply wave the card at a secure reader for transactions
- 24X7 helpline for emergency card replacement during international travel
- Add-on cards enabled for up to two family members
- Customers can pay their credit card bills with Flexipay, in easy monthly installments
- Customers can transfer outstanding balance of other bank accounts to SBI PRIME. SBI has lower interest rates than some of the other banks.
- Complimentary privilege Red-Tier membership across all Trident hotels and 1,500 bonus points awarded on first day of stay.
- Complimentary membership for Club Vistara Silver, along with one complimentary lounge access voucher and one upgrade voucher.
- 9 Club Vistara points for every ₹100 spent on Vistara flights
- 4 complimentary visits in a year across international priority airport lounges
- 8 complimentary visits across domestic VISA/MasterCard airport lounges
- Exclusive benefits across 900 luxury hotels in the world. You can earn up to 10,000 miles per night on hotel stay
- 10% off on Hertz car rental services and 35% off on Avis car rental services
- You can book railway tickets in India through IRCTC.com at attractive prices
- Mini-statements, transaction alerts, cash limit and Payment Assistance alerts on mobile phone
- Insurance coverage is much lower than many of the other premium credit cards
- Reward points come with expiry dates
- Fuel surcharge waiver is lower than that offered by other cards
- Doesn’t have significant partnerships with international airline brands
- SBI customer services is amongst the poorest in the country
- Suitable for NRIs who spend time in India, especially in rural areas
- Contactless card technology is an added cover of protection against cyber-fraud
- Helps to book railway tickets as well
- Lack of appropriate insurance coverage
- Lack of large network of Star Alliance partnerships
- Poor customer services
What has been your experience with the SBI Prime credit card? Share your feedback here in comments, so others benefit.
SBI PRIME Card
The SBI Card PRIME is an economical option for middle to high-income groups. Here are some reasons why.